Saturday, January 19, 2013

When I was Young...

Kathi asked me today to discuss more about our youth. So here goes! Growing up, I was the middle child wimp. Adeline was bossy (the oldest) & adventurous. I was too scared to do some of the things she thought about doing. But, was a good follower. Jeannette was too young so it fell on me to help carry out her plans. We had "funerals" & buried my stuff (figures) & when I cried, she called me a baby. As our bedroom was on the second floor, she would take her pillow & blanket & sleep on the slanted roof (weather permitting). I just sat by the window & wrung my hands, sure that she would fall/roll off. It wasn't all bad, though. Sometimes, we actually had fun. As she got older & had friends, she left me behind. In the meantime, I was making my own friends. As I mentioned before, the street was full of kids of every age. In the summertime, we did all the usual kid stuff: games such as marbles, step ball, wire ball, hide-n- seek, jump rope, to name a few. The boys had a tree house in the cow pasture out back & with my friend Helen, would climb it if the boys weren't around. The cow's name was Daisy & we often tried to ride her but she would roll her eyes & move away. Bergers owned the cow & also a couple horses & Mr. Berger would give us rides once in a while. In the evening when he milked Daisy, he would squirt us with her teat. I remember that mom would buy milk from him every once in a while. On Saturday, we went to the matinee at the movies which was about four blocks away. It only cost a dime. But for that, you had the previews, a cartoon, serial (usually The Lone Ranger) & the main feature. Before, the main feature started, there was an intermission. Then the owner would hold a talent show with the audience or some other form of entertainment. Helen & I were in love with the usher. His name was Mario Martamona, a black-haired Italian hunk. Isn't that wild that I still remember his name? Dad was the manager of a local baseball team. The games were held right down the street. I handed out soda to the team. (I also had a crush on one of the team members). One day, a donkey-game was held. Whoever was "up", had to hit the ball, jump on the donkey & hope he would lope around the bases that never happened. But, was hilarious to watch! Time to stop for now.

1 comment:

Kathi said...

LOVE it! More, please! :)