Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Looking back .... 2013!

It has been a wonderful & crazy year. Had lots of family visits: Joe & Denise in June & December along with Jane & Rich in October. Kathi joined me in July for a mini-family trip to Mohonk, New York: My brother Bill with my sister-in-law, Donna; Jeannette & Tom and cousins, Mike & Sandy. We had 5 days of spa pampering, food, buggy rides, etc. compliments of my brother. Jane & Rich came in for a couple weeks in the second week of October. As I was hosting my Red Hats group that month, Rich provided a delicious lunch for us & three months later, the ladies are still talking about it. Then, the three of us took off for the Food & Wine fest in New York and on to Hudson, N.Y. for a couple of days. Jane has written all about that trip in her blog. Late last year, I was having "balance issues" so my doctor sent me to Physical Therapy for core strengthening and although it helped somewhat, it didn't resolve it completely. I realize it is a mental issue. I am afraid of falling so whenever I have to walk on a slick surface, I freeze. In November of this year, I hired a Personal Trainer. I searched the internet. Came across a site called "Thumbtack." I put my age down as 65+ & the site insisted I put down my real age. I almost died & was sure no one would want to train an 82 year old woman. Interesting enough, six trainers popped up. I eliminated three for various reasons; too far, too pricey & interviewed the others. There was one who lived fairly close by & I was tempted so told him, I would get back to him after my last interview. And, of course, the last one was the ticket. He showed me immediately how to stand & I was impressed. He also came with a Masters in Exercise Physiology & call me a snob but I liked that as well. I see him twice a week, he put me on a diet & I've lost 4 lbs. & feel GREAT. My walking is better, my mentality is changing & I am getting stronger. Other than that, it's Christmas day! I had Bill's family here last night for the Santa Claus visit. We pigged out (I had 1 piece)of pizza & cookies (I had two), opened presents, played Dominoes & then, everyone went home. Must tell you that Bill mentioned at (work) attending to a patient with walking issues & he told the family to hire a personal trainer like his mom did. :) Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Merry Christmas, Betty! How great the personal trainer is helping and you can see progress! I begin "pre-hab" when I get home, to prepare for the hip replacement, and diet and exercise are part of it, plus my PT strengthening exercises. I will use you for my role model!

Having a quiet Christmas Day here in Texas, and hope to see your daughter briefly Friday if possible. I hope you have a wonderful new year, and that my travels (post new hip) send me northeast so I can say hi!

Betty said...

Oh, Susan...so nice to hear from you. Hope you have a wonderful holiday too! I WILL look forward to seeing you post new hip!

Kathi said...

I missed this one! The trip to Mohonk holds such great memories. Every time I think about it, the phrase, "Sumting wong," comes to mind!

Betty Rice said...

Couldn’t find this blog on my own so got here through Jane’s. See if this works. If so, I’ll be back.

Betty Rice said...

Hi everyone! It’s been awhile for sure. Yes, we had lots of fun at Mohonk. Sadly, two of the group are no longer with us. Today, it’s in the 60s which isn’t hard to get used to in November. I can’t bring you up to all the happenings in the past years but maybe, some of the ones remembered. For the last five years, my sister, brother & I have a siblings trip. I got elected to find the places. So far, we’ve been to Strasberg, Pa (which has a great train museum), Watson Glen, NY, a lighthouse tour here in NJ, a B&B in Tannerville, Pa & Cape May here at home.

Jane & Kathi both mention our “girlie” trips. We usually try for a B & B somewhere not too far away. So, I’m going to see if this posts. I hope so.