Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Comedy Hour(s)

A good friend had won tickets for a show and invited me. She asked if I had a rain coat or poncho and if so to bring it. Did you ever hear of Gallagher? He's been around since the 70s but I never heard of him. I was mystified re the rain gear and noticed that the theater ushers were giving out ponchos to the people who were seated in the first 10 rows. As we were further up, we didn't need them. Gallagher started out by running up and down the aisles throwing Easter candy to the audience. He reminded me of a guy who was stuck in the 60s with longish gray hair and bald on top. He talked about getting old, politicians, the way kids dress, and all the things that is happening today. It was so funny the way he explained it. I usually am amused but found myself laughing uncontrollably. On the stage, he had all kinds of food like slices of watermelon, pumpkin, cabbage, cottage cheese etc. and while talking to us, he would make all kinds of pies in those aluminum pans and place them on the stage. He kept up his repertoire for 21/2 hours without a break. The last half hour, he had about 6 kids come up on the stage. Putting the pies on a table, he gave them a sledgehammer, directions for the best effect and they smashed the pies! Most slop, pieces went into the audience so the rain gear. It was gross and hilarious at the same time. Regardless, I enjoyed myself but was glad that I wasn't sitting in a lower seat. Interesting to see that some people were dressed up in costumes. Reminded me of Jimmy Buffett's Parrot Heads.

By the way, Netflix has him on a DVD so I sent for one.

5 comments:

Gigi said...

Sounds like you had fun! Yes, he's been around forever. He even came to Abilene once long ago and we saw him there.

Suzassippi said...

I've heard of him, but never heard him. What a fun evening though--I love laughing out loud. :)

Betty said...

I watched the DVD that came out in 2007 and his show was pretty much the same except he has a water hose and doused the audience. Wow - you saw him early on. I get the feeling that you didn"t think he was that great. I guess you just have to be in the mood for something like that.

Kathi said...

I LOVE Gallagher! I love George Carlin a little more- but they're both up there.

Gigi said...

No, he was hilarious and we had a great time! It's just silly slapstick stuff but who doesn't need that once in awhile? I think we used to watch his comedy specials on HBO or one of those channels, which is how we even knew he existed, and we were excited that he was coming to town so we could see him in person.