Sunday, June 24, 2012

Daddy - Part 2

I really don't want to repeat other stories about Daddy. Did I ever tell you about Mom waking us up around two in the morning to welcome him home from work? Naturally, it was his Birthday. We would all sit at the bottom of the stairs real quiet until we heard his key in the door and shout "Happy Birthday, Daddy!" Then, we would go out in the kitchen, eat ice cream & cake - a real treat in the middle of the night! On Satudays, he gave us each a nickel and we ran to the candy store to spend it. You could buy all sorts of penny candy. Some were 10 for a penny and my sisters and I would try to see which of us could get the most for 5 cents. As we didn't have a car, we took a walk on the weekend. No plastic then so our sandwiches were wrapped in brown paper or napkins, cold water in glass bottles. Mom had a favorite place in the woods by Laurel Lake so we would go there often. A kid's dream to run up and down the hills discovering all kinds of treasures to show and afterwards, Daddy got to take a nap before we walked home again. One Christmas, Adeline and I got bicycles and then, we were in 7th heaven so we could ride our bikes to school. In 1948-49, Daddy was laid off from his job at the shipyard. My Uncle Roy got him a temporary job at Clementon Park for the summer. We loved it of course. He "ran" the Minature Golf course so all my friends from school would greet him as "Dad" and get in free! After summer, he got a job in Philadephia at an upholstery house where he remained until he retired. Do you remember Grandpop and his ghost stories? He told all his kids and grandkids about "Mary" who lived in the attic. For years, we were afraid to go up there and never alone. :) Remember his funny hats? On his Birthdays, one of the grandkids would give him a funny hat to wear. He had Mouse hats & Pig hats. And how about the laughing Irishman in the kitchen? And, don't forget his tomatoes and all his plantings! So, winding down at last. Hope you enjoyed my little trip down memory lane.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

I love all the Grandpop stories. He was such a wonderful guy! I have many happy memories of times spent with him. Definitely remember him taking us to Clementon Park, the ghost stories, and "Mary." And the funny hats, the laughing Irishman and his gardening. I don't think I've ever eaten better tomatoes!

Kathi said...

I agree with all that Jane said. I think Grandpop was the best man I've ever known, and to this day have met few who could come close to comparing to him. The kids think the picture of "him with his dog, Teddy," is creepy, but I love it. I get to walk past it every day, and feel a little of Grandpop in my house. You know, he would've been a great writer if he'd written down his stories. I wish I knew them better, so I could do it for him.