Thursday, December 13, 2012

December 13, 1952

A chilly winter morning - my wedding day! The Nuptials began at 9 A.M. What an un-godly hour! Remembering how I wanted to go back to sleep & Mom prodding me to get up, etc. "We have so much to do." The photographer came about 8 A.M. About then I realized that this was IT & put on a happy face. My sister, Jeannette was my Maid of Honor & my only attendant. Dad's brother-in-law, Charles Hacker was Best Man. Dad's brother, Kirby & Jeannette's financee, Tom Baines were ushers. My Uncle John was the priest who officiated. A nephew, Bud Hacker & my brother Bill served the Mass at St. Lawrence Church in Lindenwold. My mother's Bridge Club made breakfast in the cafeteria at St. Lawrence School to the wedding party. Afterwards, provided refreshments to those who attended the reception. We had music (records) from someone who provided a record player. All in all, a party & fun with relatives & friends. Dad & I hadn't made any special plans to go away. His brother, Kirby loaned us a 1950s Plymouth so we left around 3 P.M. We started South then decided to drive to Indiana & visit Joe's sister, Cass who wasn't able to make the wedding. We stayed in Indiana 2 days & headed home. Joe had to leave to return to France on January 4th. We stayed with Mom & Dad until he left. I followed him in late March on the S.S. Untied States & you know the rest of the story.

6 comments:

Betty said...

Spell check or me didn't catch the UnTIED States...........

Suzassippi said...

Well, some of us don't know the rest of the story, except the part about you live in exotic places and had my best friend whilst in Germany. (Please, oh, please, tell me I remember correctly and that Jane was born in Germany, or I will be mortified. LOL) And these days, we may be coming untied. :)

Betty said...

Jane was born in Wiesbaden, Germany. As our base in Chaumont, France hadn't a hospital, the airforce flew us to Germany (in a military plane) two weeks prior to our due date. We (all the pregnant ladies) stayed in a hotel that cost twenty-five cents a day. My hospital bill came to $300. :-)

Suzassippi said...

What a cool story--although it may not have been all that cool to be flying 2 weeks prior to delivery.

Gigi said...

I agree with Susan that the states are a bit "untied" these days! :) I thought getting married at 11 AM was early (my first wedding). I don't blame you for wanting to go back to bed. :) And then you were off on your grand adventure.

Kathi said...

I don't even remember my wedding- seriously, I was in some sort of fog all the way through it. Maybe that should have been my big clue- haha. I agree- the Untied States makes perfect sense, slip up or not. :)