Friday, January 2, 2009

Cooking 101

When Dad and I were first married, I knew Nada about cooking. I could bake anything but that didn't bode well for dinner. My first catastrophe was making chili. I loved it and I knew just how to make it except I bought dry kidney beans and didn't know that you had to soak and cook them. I just threw them in the pot with all the other ingredients and couldn't understand why they were like stones. Dad came home to find me crying at the stove. Needless to say, he cooked dinner and took over that chore until I learned. Another young southern bride in our squadron had a recipe that included rice. She read that it needed to be rinsed off so threw it in the sink and was horrified when it went down the drain. LOL! As most of our friends were older, I soon learned and Dad was always a good back-up if I didn't understand something. Did you ever have any like experiences?

6 comments:

Gigi said...

I can't really remember how much I knew about cooking when I left home, but I think I learned a few things in the kitchen while growing up. I definitely learned to cook lots of new and different foods over the years but now I am happy to have someone cook for me. I was never that great a cook and never really enjoyed it much. :)

Betty said...

I never became a great cook either but did have some "fall back" reecipes that I used for company. I sure need that person in my life that likes to cook. Lucky you!

Kathi said...

I've always loved cookbooks and have tried lots of different things. I've been lucky because I haven't had any real disasters-I think growing up hearing your stories, Mom, and witnessing first hand the pie crust on the floor with you crying and jumping up and down on it (Ha- I exaggerate!), may have something to do with that. Jordan loves to cook, and she really has a knack for it, and Alan cooks a lot, too- although eating vegetarian has changed the way I do things.

Betty said...

Yeah, I'm a complete nit-wit when it comes to pie crusts. That was in Georgia and I threw the crust across the room. So much for hysterics! I don't think I jumped on it, though! LOL!

Kristinn said...

Hmmm, I remember meatloaves as tough as footballs cooked in the microwave by my mom and Hamburger Helper. That's what we lived on until I was in 6th grade when Mom turned the family vegetarian. And then, yes, she tried all kinds of things, which for the most part we tried too. Besides making a salad, though, I can't really cook to save my life and am thrilled to have a husband who likes to cook! :D If it weren't for Tim, I'd live on cereal and sandwiches. That much I know for sure!

Betty said...

Speaking of Hamburger Helper, we had that a lot too along with Sloppy Joes and Tuna Casserole. Joe (Dad) didn't like sour cream so I never told him that it had s.c. in it. Haha! Did you know that I could make 7 hamburgers with 1 lb. of ground beef? Them were the days!