Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Musings - Taking Another Sentimental Journey

It is my plan for 2009 to reconnect with friends. Tomorrow, I leave for Tampa, Fl. to see an old friend who lived across the street from me way back in the 50s. We kept up our correspondence through the years and I would see her periodically but this is the first time I have gone to see her. Florence (Floss) is a very talented woman. She taught me so many things when our children were small. We did a lot of crafts then and often found ourselves at the Farmer's market looking for bargains and eating ice cream. One such time, Kathy lost her shoe. She was only two and kept tugging on my hand to tell me. I finally noticed her limping and realized what happened. Retracing our steps, we found that some kind person had put it on a shelf. What a relief I could just see it mashed and dirty. We laughed alot about it. Living in Westmont when Dad was stationed at McGuire, we found many things to keep us occupied both physically and mentally. Along this travel, my plans include friends in Port Charlotte. And finally, to my brother's in Naples.

Sometimes I wonder if we ever outgrow our friends? There are little pieces in your heart/life that belong just to them. So I guess I answered my own question, huh?

3 comments:

Kathi said...

I think that sometimes we do outgrow others but not true friends. When I saw my Jr. high friend, JoEllen, last summer, we picked right back up where we'd left off years ago. We've turned into very different people, but the bond is much stronger than the differences. We e-mail each other now regularly and keep up on our lives even though we're separated by so many miles. I have very few friends like that. I feel like I actually remember losing my shoe that time, but it's probably because the story has been told often! I hope you have a fabulous trip to see Floss!

Gigi said...

I love keeping up with friends from over the years. Even though some of us have gone down different paths, we still have that connection from long ago that binds us together. It's always fun to just "pick right back up" as Kathi said. I have probably lost track of more people than I've kept in touch with, but I do cherish all of those memories and am happy about the ones who stay in contact, even if it's just an occasional email or note.

Have fun on your trip and in renewing your friendships! I remember the Knapps a little bit--tell Floss hi!

Floss said...

pretty neat. I always remember Kathy trying to tell us she lost her shoe. we were busy talking.