Friday, February 27, 2009

And then...........

Finally, we arrived back home in Chaumont. Conrads were ecstatic along with Goldia and Earl McCoy who were our closest friends. You had many visitors, all wanting to hold you. As I may have said previously, Dad and I were the youngest parents in the squadron. So babies were a novelty. McCoy's youngest was ten, Conrad's Arlette was ten or so too. As you grew Jane, Grandmere Conrad wanted to feed you nothing but milk for the first year and balked when I gave you baby food. (She said food was bad for your digestive system). Once or twice, I would run out to the base, leave some food for you and she told me that you didn't like it. Haha!

When Dad went to work, Claudie would invite me over for lunch which was their main meal. They said that I needed good food and wine so I would have lots of milk for you. They actually spoiled me by eating with them daily. Grandmere knitted you a vest to keep you warm and I kept it for the longest time.

In the evenings, we drove to friend's homes for dinner and cards. We played a lot of poker those days. We would prop you up in all the coats on the bed and you slept through it. One night, while coming home, Dad had to stop and take a leak so we stopped by the side of the road (men are so lucky, aren't they?) There was a shout! I jumped out of the car and Dad had fallen into a gully. There weren't any street lights out in the country so you took your chances.

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Funny about Dad falling in the gully! And it turns out Grandmere was right about milk only for a year! At least that's the general thought today...:)

Betty said...

Interesting! What goes around....