Wednesday, July 1, 2009

And Then...

In 1966, Grandmom and Grandpop came to visit. We had just purchased a new Nash Rambler station wagon so were all set to go on a road trip. Grandmom wanted to visit her grandparents' birth place in Marienweiher, Germany. After much researching as it was a small village, we found it on a Deutsch road map. A friend of Joe's, Rob (Mike) Michauk came with us. He was born in Hamburg and his family came to the states when he was a little boy so was fluent in German. Dad had to get clearance as it was just 5 kilometers from the East German border. The scenery was breathtaking. We drove over this hill and looking down saw the village sitting there between the hills. The odd thing about it was that I had in my possession a
postcard with a picture of it that was sent from one brother to the other and dated 1907 and the oddity was that the village looked just the same. It gave me goose bumps. Marienweiher is a farming community with the pigs and geese walking through. When we drove down, the men of Marien. came over and admired the car, wanting to look at the engine, etc. We felt like celebrities. I guess you just didn't see many new cars around there. Mike located a Max Ott who owned a gasthause and even though it was past lunch, fixed us some bratwurst,bread and of course, beer. Through interpretation, we learned that he was related to Grandmom Brumbach (Zaph) and there was just one other brother who was ill and lived in another area. There is a story about the town and its name but I won't go into it now. We were shown the family homestead, the grave of the first Brumbach who was also mayor of the town and the church. It was a wonderful day.

9 comments:

Kathi said...

That was such a great trip! Driving into Marienwhier (I know I spelled that incorrectly...) was like a fairy tale- this little village nestled in a valley with the big church in the middle. It was enchanting. And for Grandmom to actually find some living relatives!

Suzassippi said...

So, Grandmom was German? Or just born there?

Betty said...

I never finished the paragraph but was interrupted so had to stop. Mother's grandmother, Cunnegunda Zaph was German. She married John Brumbach and they came to the states in the early 1900s. The story was that he was avoiding the draft. LOL! Whatever!

Betty said...

Guess what? You spelled that correctly!

Betty said...

It's actually Marienweiher...according to Jane and checked via the internet. :)

Kathi said...

I knew it didn't look right!

K.Zapf said...

My name is K. Zapf. I was born in Marienweiher und grow up there. Now l live in onother town in germany.
When I was a little Child, my grandmother und my aunt tell me a story about trouble in the family because the love between Mr. Brumbach and Ms. Zapf, who emigrate later to Chicago. I mean to remeber it was a Love Story.
In my whole Life I cannot forget the story, who I heard in my child-days. I looke often to the internet, und now I find your Story and I am sure thats the story who I was searching (The Name "Zaph", I beleave is correctly "Zapf").
Is it possible, to add connection?

Lori said...

I relate to Cunnegunda ZAPF via her mother Margaret HAHN (HOHN) who was the dau. of Nikolaus HAHN and Elizabeth GUNTHER. Margaret's
brother John N HAHN went to Philadelphia where he had a hardware store.

Betty Rice said...

I’m sorry I never responded. I have not been blogging for a number of years. I’m sure we are related in some fashion. Please respond if you get this.

Betty Rice