Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Funny Words

Let's have some chuckles! Periodically, my kids and I come up with funny names which sends me into peals of laughter.

I guess the ones I remember most are those from the American Indians. As I mentioned in a former post, I stayed at Chincoteaque Island. I saw that Susan mentioned the Tallahatchie that had to be from the same source. And, how about Tallahasse? There's Mannahawkin, N.J. & Forked River. Forked is 2 syables.

At one time, we lived in Houston County in Georgia but it was pronounced
"House-ton". I went to school with a girl with the last name of Buggy but it was pointed out to me that it was Buuggie. OMG, let's not do names...:-)! Oh, let's!
Grandpop worked with a guy by the name of Sugarbread and we had neighbors whose name was Rowbottom - either English or Indian, wouldn't you say? Isn't this the time, Bill brings up Orangejello & Lemonjello pronounced very different than spelled. And, Dad worked with a Glasscock, a Woodcock & a John Moneypenny. So, put your funny thinking caps on laugh a little!

6 comments:

Kathi said...

And you know my favorite of all time- our synagogue president whose name was Dick Zucker! There was also Dick Quick and Cherie Dumass...all people I actually know (or knew).

Kathi said...

Did you know there's a guy from Spain who has a blog called Sentimental Journey? When I went to type yours in, I typed in sentimentaljourney.blogspot.com instead of bettyrice, and his came up. It was all in Spanish...:)

Betty said...

Huh! That's pretty weird. Did you remember that Bill used to have a blog called Riding Empty? If you type that in, you get a party guy!

Betty said...

Is Dick Zucker still president? "Dick" must be the preferred name for Richard in Texas. If you remember, that's what they called Mark's father too.

Kathi said...

No, Dick Zucker is still a member, but the presidents are only in office for 2 terms. Now Bill Goodman is president- our first openly gay prez. He's a great guy- has been in one of my plays as a matter of fact!

Gigi said...

We have a city council member named Dick Peck. Some people have been known to call him Dick Pecker. Lord, I hope he does not read this! :)