Friday, June 25, 2010

AND THEN THE POWER WENT OFF...

We had another bad storm last night - the usual things happening to me i.e. more branches fell and swooped to the roof, in front of my car, etc. The 75 an hour winds never did knock down the bird feeder so I'm sure the squirrels are happy! And then, of course we lost our electricity. We take so much for granted. You go in a room, hit the switch and nothing happens. Flashlights? Where did I put them? The freezer starts getting warmer and the food melts or just about. Useless! Unless you want to make a meal of corn, peas and Popsicles. Ugh! As I had a substantial lunch, I oped for cereal and warm milk. And cookies!

As frustrating as this is, a tragedy happened! As far as I know, a guy with his ear phones on, was crossing the railroad tracks and didn't hear/see the train. This happened in the rain right down at the end of the street. With helicopters overhead, and fire/police about, it was a most nerve-wracking evening. We only know that the person was unconscious, the train did stop and remained in town for over 3 hours. The guy was air-evacuated to the hospital and it was felt that he would survive.

On a lighter note, we soon congregated on porches and spent time with each other.

Today, I had to take the car to the garage for a check up. I had a devil of a time getting there with roads closed for fallen trees and branches and traffic all trying to move 3 spaces and sit for 10 minutes before moving again. I came home to a warm house so immediately opened all of the windoews and doors. I called Jim D. and he came over this morning and removed all of the debrie. Unfortunately, I have some damage to my garage once more. So it goes. Pat Mather had me over for lunch so enjoyed a nice cold glass (she still had ice) of ice tea and a sandwich.

And, at 5 this evening, the power came back on!

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Yikes- sounds scary! Glad all is well. Did you ever hear anymore about the train wreck guy?

Betty said...

No, I'm sure it was on the News but my power was out so... And, it wasn't in the paper at all. Maybe he was someone famous and they kept it hush-hush!