Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Movie Theatres of South Jersey

Maggie, Jeannette & I took our own sentimental journey tonight. The Collings-Knight House Committee in Collingswood held a lecture featuring Alan Hauss who wrote & discussed his book on the the movie houses of an earlier time. He had a lot of slides depicting the theatres back in the 30s and of course, their demise. Even had one from Laurel Springs so I was impressed.

Before the lecture, we took a tour of the house (1900s), then a light dinner (which we didn't expect) and the lecture. Mag & I both bought his book. After I read it, I will probably send it down to Uncle Bill as I'm sure he'll enjoy it as much as I will.

Some of the theatres are now churches, some are operating as Little Theatre/Plays and others are store fronts. All have some semblance of the earlier building.

Tomorrow, Barbara and I are going to the Socrates Cafe for another discussion.

No comments: