Monday, November 24, 2008

7th Grade & After

I was laying/lying :) in bed this morning thinking of your Dad/Grandpop. He was just a skinny kid in 7th grade. His step-mom and dad had separated again so was sent to live with his sister, Aunt Jane and she put him in St. Lawrence School and in my classroom. In 7th grade, I had a crush on Ralph C. so your father was just another kid. After 7th grade, he left to go back home to Bellmawr Park so he didn't come back to my life until 9th grade. He was a friend of a friend. We had a group of kids that hung around together. We didn't have cell phones but did have telephones, of course. If we wanted to go somewhere, we would check with each other in school. We walked everywhere. (My Dad didn't have a car until I was eighteen and already had my license so would take him out until he got his license). We walked to Clementon Park about two miles away, to the lake to swim and to each other's homes. My friend Mary lived in the next town so I would cut across the cow pasture (Rexon's Farm) to her house. You had to watch that you didn't step in "cow flops"...... . In spring/summer, we hired on to pick potatoes. We were paid ten cents a basket. It was hot, dirty work and I think I did it two summers and that was enough! I think the most I made was seventy cents. One summer when I was fifteen, I worked at Pine Lake @ the root beer stand. I had to get my Social Security card. Wow! I rode my bike or walked there. I also had a crush on the lifeguard. He asked me to his Junior Prom but my mother wouldn't let me go out with him. She said that he was too old for me. I think he was two years older. My aunt knew his family and told my mother, he was "fast" with the girls. LOL!

Question of the day: How old were you when you had your first date?

19 comments:

Gigi said...

Wow, I didn't know or didn't remember that you knew Dad in 7th grade. I thought it was much later! Funny about the "fast" guy. Good thing your parents didn't let you go out with him. LOL First date...well, I am not sure if it even really counts but I remember Craig DeBrito, the paper boy at McGuire, taking me to a movie when I was in 9th grade. I thought he was very cute. He even held my hand in the movie. Oh my gosh! Then he never asked me out again and eventually moved away. I was kinda mortified about the fact that he never asked me out again and I didn't really know why but I was too embarrassed to say anything. Not a great start to the dating experience.

Kathi said...

First date- the summer before 8th grade went to the movies to see Psycho with Bobby Berru. The movie scared me for life- I still peek out of the shower. Don't tell! Bobby asked me to go steady, and we did for 3 whole months- until I caught him making out with Kathy Maloney. Saw him years later because Jane had run into him at SWT, and he was quite changed from 8th grade...enough said. :)OH, I saw Dad last night in another weird dream, and he said to tell everyone hello...

Sarah Durham said...

First date...hmmm. What has happened to my memory? I don't know if it counts as a date but I went to the movie with Trey Pace in middle school. I think 6th or 7th grade. The kicker is that we went with his parents. WIERD! So maybe that does not count :)

Suzassippi said...

You young girls really are "fast" yourselves. I got to go to a church dance when I was 15, after being driven there to meet my "date." My first unaccompanied date, I was 16.

Betty said...

I don't remember Craig but do remember Bobby Berru. Did you ever go out with Bill Burns, Jane. I think you "liked" him. Was he the one who went canoeing with us at Kirby Mills?

Susan, I never dated with my parents!

Betty said...

Sarah, not Susan - oops!

Gigi said...

No, Bill Burns and I were always just buddies. Though when I was leaving for Texas, we kind of admitted that we'd both liked each other at different times but it never worked out because one or the other was dating someone else. LOL He was a sweet but messed up guy. Have wondered whatever happened to him but have no clue where he might have ended up. Yes, he did go to Kirby's Mills with us but Eddie Radatz was my boyfriend and Bill came along for Dale Garrett who was visiting from Laurel Springs that summer. :)

Sarah, that is funny about Trey Pace and his parents.

Kathi, I vaguely remember running into Bobby Berru at college but no details!

Kathi said...

Jane, you met up with Bobby on a bus from SWT, and he recognized you. You told him I was also attending school there and set up a time for us to meet at Burger King where he worked. I was pregnant with Ryan at the time. He had gained about 100 pounds and was missing a couple of teeth!! Still a nice guy, but not the guy I fell for at 13!

Kathi said...

PS- I think Mom had a crush on Bill Burns- but then who didn't? :)

Betty said...

No, sorry! It wasn't me! You must have had me mixed up with Ruth Maloney....

Gigi said...

I can't believe Mom already gets so many darned comments. I never get this many. Poor me. LOL

Kathi said...

Now that I'm getting the hang of this, I'll comment more often, Jane! :) k

And-yeah, the lust factor ran high in that Maloney family...haha. Just kidding if any Maloneys should read this...

Kristinn said...

OMG, you are ALL fast! :D I didn't go on a date until I was 16 -- with Kevin McDonald. Then I almost married him! I have always fallen in love quickly and without much quality of judgment. LOL! Hope Tim doesn't read this...haha!

Betty said...

Yeah, I remember Kevin. He was always around when I visited. Wasn't he Catholic too? You have a thing for these Catholic boys/men!

Kathi said...

Kevin was not only Catholic- he was a GT student of mine. He's now an English teacher in Oklahoma and is one of few who is U.S. board certified. I used to hear from him from time to time, but it's been awhile. I think falling in love quickly runs in this family...

Betty said...

Did Kevin ever get married?

Kathi said...

Yeah- last I heard he was married and has a little girl.

Rider said...

I think I made out with Kathy Shafer when I was like 5 does that count? Who was Ralph C? I just keep thinking of Cramden

Betty said...

You're so funny! Actually, it was Ralph Caccia and I'm not sure where he is now. He would be Larry Stom's uncle. No, no Cramden!