Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Past & Present

Thanksgiving again and grateful for mine! It's interesting to remember only certain days of thanks. I think they more or less run into each other as they don't always stand out! In France our first Thanksgiving away from home, we ate in the mess hall with our new friends and the rest of the Air Force. Our new friends consisted of a baker, a butcher, a couple of cooks and mess hall sargeants with their wives and famiily. The baker would always remember your birthday with a gorgeous cake. (A candle stick maker was not needed in the AF). When we came back state side, we usually traveled to Grandmom's and that was always a treat. At all the other bases, I peeled enormous amounts of potatoes plus pies and other desserts. (I lied about the pies. I couldn't make a decent crust and still can't). Dad usually did the turkey - he was the expert! Now, I am grateful to be invited out. Today, I am bringing a Trifle - a new recipe I found on the internet. Anyway, Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family and friends and I'm certainly grateful for my wonderful family. One of these days, we'll get to spend it together again, maybe when I'm 90....plan on it!

4 comments:

Kathi said...

There was nothing like Thanksgiving at Grandmom's and Grandpop's! I loved helping G-mom set the table with what I thought were the most beautiful dishes and silverware I'd ever seen. Crowding around the table- the room always full of laughter, it doesn't get better than that! Grandpop could light up any room just with his presence. I don't remember him ever saying a negative word about anyone, and he made us all feel like we were his "favorite." I used to say if I could turn out to be half as good of a person as he was, I'd be doing well. I'm still working on that. I've yet to meet a man who even comes close in comparison to Grandpop. He was definitely one of a kind!

Kathi said...

PS- We could and should write a book about Grandpop and Grandpop-isms!

Gigi said...

I loved meals at Grandmom and Grandpop's, too. Remember when Grandpop would come home with a "grab bag" of candy for us? Each item would have a string attached to it and we would get to pull a string to get our surprise. My kids have memories of Grandmom always wanting to feed them something, anything! Just EAT! We had lots of nice Thanksgivings in Abilene with the McHans and the Kardons; I always loved those big family gatherings. Yep, we will have to plan one some day!

Kathi said...

Oh my gosh! I had forgotten about the "grab bags!" I do remember shuckin' corn in the garage. We'd have a contest, and the winner would get a roll of peppermint lifesavers. Of course, we'd all "win," and Grandpop would get out his peppermint lifesaver stash from his drawer. And didn't we have a few taffy pulls, too? Such great memories...