Friday, March 6, 2009

Back to NJ and Another Baby on the Way

In early February, the Red Cross got in touch with us that Joe's Dad had died so they sent us home. I never knew my father-in-law well. I met him when we were engaged and at our wedding. He was 55 when your father was born. We were scheduled to return to the states in June anyway so just came sooner. On arriving, we stayed with Grandmom and Grandpop until we found a place of our own. Joe was stationed at McGuire AFB. Shortly after, I found out that I was pregnant with number two, Kathleen Anne - another favorite name. I was surprised as I still nursed Jane. At that time, we were told that you couldn't get pregnant if you were nursing. Wrong! We rented a house in Browns Mills for about three months to be closer to the base. Then we moved to an apartment in Laurel Springs and finally to an apartment in Westmont where we stayed until we were transferred again. In Westmont, we met Bill and Floss Knapp with their children Billy and Donna who lived across the street. But I am getting ahead of myself.

We had gone out with Uncle Kirby and Aunt Em when I started having cramps. At this time, we lived in Laurel Sprimgs. Uncle Kirby was kidding me saying things like "This is it, you're gonna have the baby today," etc. Dad and I came home and later went to the movies to see some film with John Wayne. When we got home, I was in a pretty lot of pain so took Jane over to Grandmom's house and started for the base that was 27 miles away. Dad was so nervous and kept asking me about the intervals between pains so lied to reassure him. Needless to say, your delivery came in four hours so cut Jane's time in half. I stayed in Ft. Dix hospital just two days and came home. Two babies in diapers! What fun! You were a serene baby though and always smiling. You only had fuzz on your head and I used to tape bows on your head to show that you were a girl.

10 comments:

Kathi said...

Glad to hear you made it to the hospital! Haha. My time was cut in half with Ryan, too- from 5 hours to 2 and a half. Jordan was induced so took 6, but by the time Alana came along, she only took 30 minutes! Then both Rachel and Eli were back to 2 hours- guess my body was getting tired out by then! Anyway, I enjoy hearing the stories about the early years. How did Jane handle a new baby in the house? :)

Betty said...

She was excited and kept wanting to touch you. I think that's what all older children do.

Suzassippi said...

Two babies in diapers, and that's when diapers had to be rinsed in the toilet, washed, dried, and folded--and the joy of plastic pants! I actually used those with Justin as we were too broke to afford disposables. :)

Kathi said...

I used them with Kristinn and Ryan, too for awhile. ick. Kristinn was not very happy to have a brother. She told me to "take it back!" She was even more upset when Jordan came along- she said she wanted to be an "only child." oops- too late...

Betty said...

Ah yes, cloth diapers. I can remember drying them out the car window when we were traveling. It's a wonder they didn't catch something! Rinsing them in the toilet made me laugh but I did it as well. I remember boiling bottles too.

Suzassippi said...

I recall coming home from work once and finding a stack of dirty diapers by the toilet. I turned to Rand and said, "do you think there is something about my hand that it can stick a dirty diaper in the toilet and rinse out poop better than yours? You think I like it any better than you do?" It was the start of a whole new level of relationship. :)

Betty said...

It was something to do with being a male, I think. Joe would literally turn green if I suggested that he do it. He hated hospitals and would get sick in his stomach if he had to visit someone. So he was my hero to visit when I had our babies!

Gigi said...

I insisted on cloth diapers with Sarah. And those plastic pants! (Did have a diaper service in NJ, though, so that was nice!) Bonnie was kinda half and half. We started with cloth but by the time we moved back to TX, Joyce was babysitting her and didn't like to do the rinsing thing. So we used disposables part of the time. When Susan came along, it was disposables all the way. Funny how we can rationalize our changes in values. LOL Sarah and Bonnie were both happy with new babies behind them for the most part. They both wanted to "help."

Kathi, of course I was thrilled with your arrival! It was only later that I began to be "MEAN" to you. :)

Gigi said...

PS Don't talk to me about your fast delivery stories. I would have been happy for 6 hours. :)

Kathi said...

It was "mean" love, I'm sure!! You just wanted me to buck up and be independent. It's ok- you helped make me the person I am today...hahaha. Speaking of having babies, Rachel has a midwife this time around!