Sunday, March 29, 2009

Back to the Story...

When Kathy was almost 2 yrs. old, we moved to the 2nd floor apartment in Westmont. Dad started moonlighting - getting a second job bar-tending at a club in Lindenwold. So he would work at the base during the week and on Friday and Saturday nights, work at the club. The problem was that all of his old friends were not married yet and wanted him to go out after work. That went over like a lead balloon, believe me! In all fairness though, he was so bushed after working as well as driving to the base, that he made a good case for himself and got out of it mostly. At least, that's what was told to me. I could kill his so called friends. Sometime, I would go out and sit at the bar until he got off. We got to know the owners well (their last name was Papp) and periodically, I worked in the coat room for tips. We usually asked Mary Jane to babysit the two of you.

Kathy, you used to crawl on your stomach like a commando. Your sister, Jane never crawled at all. She started standing at 8 months and walking at 9 months. We used to watch you, Jane walk right under the table without hitting your head. It took your sister only 12 months to walk. You both stayed in cribs until almost 3 yrs when I decided you needed a bed to sleep in. We found a second-hand one that was advertised in the paper so bought that as well as a small rocking chair for $25. Grandmom went with me to look at the stuff. A lady was moving to an apartment and didn't have room for all her things. I think Grandmom paid just $2.50 for the rocker.

During this time, Grandmom came down with cancer in her thyroid gland.
She was only 58 years old and we were really worried. I was also pregnant and nearing my time when we found out. Grandpop told us as G'mom didn't want to worry us. She went through surgery and recovered in time but it was our first scare with anything like that. As the Military Champus program had just started that allowed babies to be born at civilian hospitals, Joe was born at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital on the outskirts of Camden. He cost us a big 25 dollars so was more expensive than both of you. He was also born with a right club foot and when only 2 days old, had a cast put on from his knee to his toes. Every Monday, I had to take him to the doctor who removed the cast, exercised his leg and put another on. If you remember, Grandpop also had a club foot. I wasn't too worried as Grandpop's foot turned out okay. When he was 6 months old, we were transferred to Lake Charles, Louisiana.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

Love these memories. I don't think I realized how young Grandmom was when she had thyroid cancer. It's pretty amazing that the treatment was so effective way back then and she lived a good long time.

Suzassippi said...

Can't wait to hear how going from NJ to Lake Charles went for you! I imagine that was a bit of culture shock.

Kathi said...

Jordan was my "commando" baby! I remember Lake Charles- at least some things- Louie, particularly and the rabbits (were they next door?). OK- I'll wait 'til you get to that part of the story!