Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tribute to my Sister, Addie!

Today, in the mail, I received a small book from my sister's friend, Margaret White. Margaret was Addie's dear friend from their teaching days. The dedication of the book was to my sister. I was in tears reading the inscription.

We never called her Addie, it was always Adeline. She was my older sibling with 17 months between us. Growing up, she was always the Boss and demanding that Jeannette and I do as she wanted. She was the boldest of us and the most adventuresome doing things we only thought about e.g. sleeping on the roof, hiding from relatives, etc. She could tell a good story and we were enthralled by her descriptions. She could take a single sentence and make it the most interesting thing we ever heard. Looking back I think she must have gotten this gift from Dad who was a fascinating story teller as well. Like the rest of us, she loved to read and always had a book close by. Her temper got her into trouble, mainly with Mom. We argued and fought like all kids have done forever. One time while we were doing dishes, she threw the coffee pot at me. I ducked and it went through the china closet breaking the glass. I got in trouble for ducking! However, when our brother Bill arrived, she was 14 and took care of him when Mom was working and was a good substitute mother.

In high school, she played Guard on the Girls Basketball Team. After high school, she went on to Trenton State College and became a teacher. Her degree was in Physical Education, probably called something else now. Being athletic, she played Lacrosse, Soccer and Field Hockey and played on many club teams in New Jersey.
After teaching locally for 2 years, she applied for a position in Bremerton, Washington. Our parents were devastated that she was moving so far away. (I had already married and was living in Louisiana). While there, she met her future husband Bob Hause, a fellow teacher. She married at home the following June and relocated back to Port Angeles,WA.

Addie and Bob have one son, Rob who now lives in Seattle, She taught Phys Ed for a number of years then English. Sometime during teaching, she went back to school earning her Masters degree in Psychology. Addie and Bob had many friends in their area. I talked with her periodically but didn't see her very often so we never developed a close relationship which I regret. In 1993, Addie died of cancer; she was only 64 years old.

7 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Betty, what a beautiful tribute to your sister. I laughed at the early part, and felt sad and tearful at the end. I know who Rob is because Jane has mentioned visiting her cousin Rob while in WA, but never knew the connection to whom. I know I am not part of the family, but since I have known so many of you over the years since Jane and I have become friends, it feels like a family of my choosing, and I am always happy to learn something new about the Rices. I will always treasure the week I spent at your mother's house--I still eat only butter because of that visit, and have a crucifix in my laundry room, on my porch, in my kitchen and in my living room.

Sarah Durham said...

So touching! I just love the name Addie!

Betty said...

I didn't realize you had so many crucifixes around your house. Poor Randy surrounded by all that holiness! Yeah, butter will always be my favorite spread. I think Jane prefers it too. By the way, she's having trouble writing in the blog - that's why you haven't seen her lately.

Sarah, nice to hear from you. I know you're a busy Mom!

Gigi said...

Yes, I have had trouble commenting on the blogs lately. It's our strange internet, I think. So we will see if this one goes through! I remember Aunt Adeline a little bit, and I think she actually wrote letters to us on occasion when we were young. I think she became an accomplished photographer at some point in her life and Uncle Bob sent me one of her photos of a flower after she died. Nice that her friend sent you the book. What was it about?

LOL Susan has more crucifixes than I do. Maybe someday she will get to take her Confirmation name of Librada. :)

Sarah, you can use Addie if you ever have another little girl. That was Great Grandmom's name as well. :)

Gigi said...

Woohoo, it worked.

Betty said...

Yes - so glad you're back blogging, Jane! She was an accomplished photographer as well. I remember her sitting on the ground next to a flower to get a good shot.

Actually, the book is about two cats - Sam and Emil who have many adventures. It's geared for 6th graders and under. I'm sure Bill's kids will love it. She said she and Addie used the cat stories to teach science in their school. Said the workbooks were so boring so made up her own worksheets and the kids loved them and learned.

Kathi said...

Aunt Adeline always sent me wonderful postcards for my collection. I still have an album full of them somewhere. She also found a pen-pal for me with whom I corresponded for years but eventually lost touch. Interesting how the "old" names are coming back. We always thought Adeline was such a funny name, but now I like it, too. Can't say I have any crucifixes in my house...that part of Grandmom didn't rub off! But I do believe in angels! And I only use butter, too.